Dpreview Published Nikon AF-S 180-400mm f/4 ED TC VR Lens Sample Gallery
DPReview published their Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 180-400mm f/4E TC 1.4 FL ED VR Lens sample gallery. The new Nikon 180-400mm f/4E TC 1.4 FL VR has a built in 1.4x teleconverter and it is ideally suited for photographing sports and wildlife with astounding speed and clarity. The Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 180-400mm f/4E TC 1.4 FL ED VR lens is available for pre-order at Amazon, B&H, Adorama for $12,396.95.
Nikon 180-400mm f/4E TC1.4 FL ED VR Lens Key Features:
- Nikon F-Mount Lens/FX Format
- Aperture Range: f/4 to f/32
- Built-In 1.4x Teleconverter
- One Fluorite and Eight ED Elements
- Nano Crystal & Super Integrated Coatings
- Fluorine Coated Front Lens Element
- Silent Wave Motor and Internal Focusing
- Vibration Reduction, Sport/Tripod Modes
- Electromagnetic Diaphragm Mechanism
- Removable, Rotatable Tripod Collar
As you might hope from a camera and lens combination costing almost $20,000, the autofocus hit-rate from the soccer match was nearly perfect. A majority of the images were shot with the camera set to its Auto area mode, which for the most part locked on to my intended subject.
Once back in the office, with the images up on a computer, I was impressed by the lens’s sharpness, even with the teleconverter engaged. And though there is some pretty heavy vignetting when the teleconverter is used, it can easily be corrected in post (we chose not to for the purposes of this gallery).