Nikon NIKKOR Z MC 50mm f/2.8 Lens: $646.95 at Amazon and B&H.
The premium NIKKOR Z MC 105mm and the compact NIKKOR Z MC 50mm are the first NIKKOR Z lenses to feature a 1:1 reproduction ratio, allowing users to get close to their subjects and fill the frame with edge-to-edge sharpness and incredible details. Whether photographing subtle intricacies of wildlife, wedding details, food and jewelry or capturing striking portraits with gorgeous bokeh, these new macro lenses deliver a fantastic combination of versatility and precision.
The NIKKOR Z MC 105mm f/2.8 VR S is an ideal lens for professional and advanced amateur photographers, supporting capture of a wide variety of subjects and scenes, from the finest details in plants and insects to portraits and landscapes that utilize its mid-telephoto focal length. The NIKKOR Z MC 50mm f/2.8 is ideal for photographers looking to explore new forms of photographic expression by employing a micro lens. It supports macro photography of plants and flowers utilizing bokeh, as well as facilitating the distinctive capture of various subjects in daily life, with snapshots and still-life photography that take advantage of the standard 50 mm focal length.
The NIKKOR Z MC 105mm f/2.8 VR S and NIKKOR Z MC 50mm f/2.8 will be available in late June 2021 for suggested retail prices (SRP) of $999.95 and $649.95, respectively.
NIKKOR Z MC 105mm f/2.8 VR S Key Features:
- Adoption of the large-diameter Z mount has enabled a dramatic improvement in optical performance compared to the existing AF-S VR Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED.
- Balances high resolution from near to far shooting distances and beautiful bokeh with thoroughly suppressed color bleeding and fringing.
- Shooting is possible for a wide variety of scenes, including landscapes and portraits that maximize the mid-telephoto focal length and superior resolution, not just macro photography.
- Chromatic aberration is thoroughly suppressed through the adoption of an optical structure that includes one aspherical lens element and three ED glass elements, as well as a multi-focusing system.
- Ghost and flare are effectively reduced by utilizing Nikon’s exclusive Nano Crystal Coat and ARNEO Coats
- Extremely fast and precise AF control is achieved by using a newly developed stepping motor (STM) and multi-focusing system.
- Equipped with a focus limiter* function that reduces focusing time during close-up shooting by limiting the focus range.
- The intended focus is achieved via an electromagnetic diaphragm mechanism that enables high-precision aperture control, and improvements to MF operability.
- Equipped with a highly effective 4.5-stop optical vibration reduction (VR) function.
- Achieves high dust- and drip-resistance, superior reliability that comes from robustness and weather resistance, and excellent anti-fouling performance achieved with the adoption of a fluorine coat.
- Approximately 16% lighter than the existing F-mount model.
- Equipped with a control ring to which functions such as aperture or exposure compensation can be assigned.
- Responds to video recording needs by achieving smooth changes in brightness, enabling the recording of natural footage.
- Adoption of the new NIKKOR Z design that features a new S-Line emblem and high-quality body texture.
NIKKOR Z MC 50mm f/2.8 Key Features:
- Suited for a wide variety of scenes, utilizing the minimum focus distance of 0.16 m, maximum reproduction ratio of 1.0, and standard focal length of 50 mm.
- The superior optical performance of the Z mount system enables sharp rendering to the edges of the frame.
- Balances high resolution from close to far focal distances and beautiful bokeh achieved with the suppression of color bleed and fringing.
- Ghost and flare are effectively reduced with the increased design flexibility of the Z mount system.
- Adoption of a stepping motor (STM) and a front focusing system, as well as efficient positioning of lens elements, have enabled a total length shorter by 26% and weight lighter by 39% than the existing F mount model.
- Equipped with a control ring to which functions such as aperture or exposure compensation can be assigned.
- Adoption of a new design that features a new NIKKOR emblem and high-quality body texture. Further, display of the reproduction ratio and focus distance information is supported, for confirmation of information at a glance.
- Equipped with a focus limiter*1 function that reduces focusing time during close-up shooting by limiting the focus range.
- Designed with consideration of dust- and drip-resistant performance*2. A fluorine coat is adopted for superior anti-fouling performance.
LOOK CLOSER: NIKON UNVEILS THE NEW NIKKOR Z MC 105mm f/2.8 VR S AND NIKKOR Z MC 50mm f/2.8, THE FIRST NIKON Z SERIES MICRO LENSES FOR MACRO PHOTOGRAPHY
The Powerful NIKKOR Z MC 105mm f/2.8 VR S and the Compact NIKKOR Z MC 50mm f/2.8 Lenses Add Creative Versatility to the Expanding NIKKOR Z Lineup; Nikon also Announces Upcoming Release of Compact Primes in 2021
MELVILLE, NY (June 2, 2021) – Today, Nikon Inc. announced the NIKKOR Z MC 105mm f/2.8 VR S and NIKKOR Z MC 50mm f/2.8, the latest additions to the rapidly growing NIKKOR Z lens lineup for Nikon’s high-performance Z series mirrorless cameras. The premium NIKKOR Z MC 105mm and the compact NIKKOR Z MC 50mm are the first NIKKOR Z lenses to feature a 1:1 reproduction ratio, allowing users to get close to their subjects and fill the frame with edge-to-edge sharpness and incredible details. Whether photographing subtle intricacies of wildlife, wedding details, food and jewelry or capturing striking portraits with gorgeous bokeh, these new macro lenses deliver a fantastic combination of versatility and precision.
“As the first native micro NIKKOR Z lenses, the NIKKOR Z MC 105mm and NIKKOR Z MC 50mm strengthen our expanding Z series lineup, adding yet another category of powerful optics,” said Jay Vannatter, Executive Vice President, Nikon Inc. “Together, both lenses represent a new category for the NIKKOR Z lineup, yet each have their own personalities and advantages that creators are bound to love.”
These new NIKKOR Z lenses benefit from the Nikon Z mount, which features a large diameter and short flange focal distance to deliver superior optical performance and abundant light gathering abilities. The lenses render sharp images from edge-to-edge, suppress chromatic aberrations across the focusing range and virtually eliminate color bleeding and fringing typical of macro lenses. Users of either new lens can also take advantage of the focus peaking feature in the Z series cameras to easily acquire and maintain manual focus for macro shots with incredible depth of field.
NIKKOR Z MC 105mm f/2.8 VR S: Hidden Worlds Revealed
The NIKKOR Z MC 105mm f/2.8 VR S is a high-quality S-line lens1 engineered for a wide array of shooting styles and designed to deliver intense sharpness and beautiful bokeh. The lens’ 1:1 reproduction ratio resolves details missed by the human eye and can reproduce subjects at life size. With a versatile mid-telephoto focal length and fast f/2.8 maximum aperture, the NIKKOR Z MC 105mm f/2.8 VR S provides the benefits of two lenses in one, with the ability to capture elaborate details as well as striking portraits.
Constructed with an optical formula designed for macro photography, the NIKKOR Z MC 105mm features a larger rear aspherical lens element to reduce field curvature from infinity to close-up. Additionally, the lens’ short minimum focusing distance of 0.96 feet (0.29m) allows for sharp images with a heavily blurred background, drawing in the viewers’ attention and adding scale when photographing small details.
The NIKKOR Z MC 105mm’s Multi-Focus STM system affords consistently smooth, silent and accurate focus due to the customized autofocus algorithm, which accounts for minute distance changes that alter the effective aperture. The lens also includes a limiter switch to reduce the working range to a maximum of 1.6 feet (0.5m), in order to acquire focus efficiently and quickly. Furthermore, with a near-silent AF performance, the lens allows users to capture high-quality still images and videos without disturbing small creatures in the field.
Equipped with 4.52 stops of Vibration Reduction, the NIKKOR Z MC 105mm makes it easy to shoot handheld and allows users to confidently capture tack-sharp images or videos of products, food or animals. The lens is also compatible with the in-body stabilization feature in the full-frame Z series mirrorless cameras, providing 5-axis VR.
As part of the premium S-line, the NIKKOR Z MC 105mm f/2.8 VR S includes NANO Crystal and ARNEO Coatings to limit flare and ghosting effects, even with backlighting. This new lens combines useful controls, including a manual focus ring, lens function shortcut button, control ring and lens info panel with robust weather sealing for truly reliable performance in adverse conditions.
Professional commercial photographer and Nikon Ambassador Joey Terrill was tasked with evaluating the new lens and capturing content prior to its public release. He was thoroughly impressed with its performance, stating, “The NIKKOR Z MC 105mm f/2.8 VR S is unquestionably the most exceptional lens I’ve ever used. The clarity, color fidelity, and breathtaking sharpness are present in every image. Pictures feel textural and dimensional while maintaining stunning subject accuracy. It is the perfect match for the extraordinary resolution and expansive dynamic range of the Z camera sensors, and the nuance from tone to tone feels as pure as photography can be. It’s very likely this lens will be permanently affixed to my camera going forward.”
NIKKOR Z MC 50mm f/2.8: Wherever You Go, Get Closer
The NIKKOR Z MC 50mm f/2.8 is a small and lightweight micro lens designed for spontaneous street snapshots and capturing small details with stunning clarity. The lens sports a 1:1 reproduction ratio, and an extremely compact and lightweight design of merely 9.2 oz, making it a portable and comfortable option to carry around for all-day shooting.
With a natural 50mm focal length, the NIKKOR Z MC 50mm f/2.8 takes advantage of ambient light to deliver beautiful images with a wider field of view, which is ideal for photographing up-close scenes of food, flowers or everyday snapshots. The 0.53 ft (0.16m) minimum focusing distance enables users to get closer to the action and amplify the separation between the subject, background, and foreground. Meanwhile, the NIKKOR Z MC 50mm’s large f/2.8 aperture affords gorgeous bokeh, fast shutter speeds and superior flexibility for shooting handheld, especially when paired with full-frame Nikon Z series cameras that feature IBIS. Equipped with stepping motors (STM) and a focus limiter switch, the NIKKOR Z MC 50mm delivers fast and reliable autofocus when shooting photos or videos in the field, such as capturing butterflies or the petals of a flower blowing in the wind.
The NIKKOR Z MC 50mm f/2.8 sports a modern design with a variety of intuitive controls, including a lens barrel that integrates helpful visual indicators for focus distance and reproduction ratio. The lens also features a focus limiter switch to limit the AF search range for effortless capture, while the control ring can be assigned to a variety of functions. The lens is augmented with a fluorine coated front element to resist dirt and smudges, as well as a dust and drip resistant build for rugged reliability, making it an ideal travel lens to take everywhere.
Furthermore, the NIKKOR Z MC 50mm is compatible with the ES-2 film digitizing adapter set, which can be screwed onto the front of the lens for digitizing 35mm film, expanding the creativity possibilities of the lens.
Pricing and Availability
The NIKKOR Z MC 105mm f/2.8 VR S and NIKKOR Z MC 50mm f/2.8 will be available in late June 2021 for suggested retail prices (SRP) of $999.95* and $649.95*, respectively. For more information about the latest Nikon products, including the new NIKKOR lenses and the entire Nikon Z series, please visit www.nikonusa.com.