Nikon Z6 & Z7 Firmware Update Version 2.00 with Eye AF Released
Nikon officially released the new firmware update version 2.0 for Nikon Z6 and Z7 full frame mirrorless cameras. This new firmware adds the Eye-Detection AF and improves the low-light AF performance for Nikon Z6 & Z7.
- Added eye-detection AF for use when taking photographs. To enable eye-detection AF, select:
- AF-S or AF-C for Focus mode in the PHOTO SHOOTING MENU
- Auto-area AF for AF-area mode in the PHOTO SHOOTING MENU
- Face and eye detection on for Custom Setting a4 (Auto-area AF face/eye detection) in the CUSTOM SETTING MENU
If the camera detects the face of a portrait subject, the face will be enclosed in an amber border indicating the focus point. If the subject’s eyes are detected, an amber border indicating the focus point will appear around either eye. If the camera detects more than one face or eye, triangles will appear to either side of the focus point; to position the focus point over a different face or eye, press the multi- or sub-selector left or right.
- Improved autofocus performance for photos and movies shot under low light: -2 – 19 EV (low light autofocus -4 – 19 EV), measured in photo mode with single-servo AF (AF-S) at ISO 100 and 20°C with an f/2 lens.
- The following improvements have been made to the Continuous H (extended) option for Release mode:
- Not only focus but now also exposure will respond to changes in the subject during shooting
- The burst shooting display after the memory buffer fills is now easier to read
- Reduced the length of time the display turns off (the blackout period) when pictures are taken with On or On (monitor only)selected for Image review in the PLAYBACK MENU.
- Item d5 in the CUSTOM SETTING MENU, formerly Electronic front-curtain shutter, has been renamed Shutter type and offers a choice of Auto, Mechanical shutter, and Electronic front-curtain shutter. If Auto is selected, the camera will automatically choose a shutter type according to shutter speed.
- Changed the color the focus point turns when the AF-ON button is pressed or the shutter-release button is pressed halfway with Auto-area AF selected and face detection or target tracking active.
- Edited and revised help text.
- Fixed the following issues:
- The camera would stop responding if certain operations were performed while HDMI output was in progress with 3840 x 2160 (4K UHD) selected for frame size.
- The value selected for maximum sensitivity would sometimes be exceeded during movie recording in mode M with Onselected for Auto ISO control (mode M) if Active D-Lighting was enabled.
- The display would sometimes briefly behave unexpectedly in movie mode before or during recording.
- The items in My Menu would sometimes not display correctly.
Read more: Best XQD Memory Cards for Nikon Z6 & Z7.