DPReview completed their Nikon NIKKOR Z 50mm f/1.8 S Lens review and test results: The new Nikon NIKKOR Z 50mm f/1.8 S Lens gets an impressive 93% overall score and Gold Award from the experts at DPReview.
What we like
- Good build quality, and nicely balanced on Z6/7
- Excellent sharpness at all apertures
- Very well-controlled coma
- Minimal LoCA
What we don’t
- Large by the standards of ‘traditional’ 50mm F1.8 lenses
- Costly compared to the F-mount equivalent (but a totally new design)
- Not the prettiest bokeh – onion rings and ‘bullseyes’ visible at some apertures and with some subjects
Conclusion from DPReview:
The Nikon Z 50mm F1.8 S is a powerful standard lens for the Z system, offering outstanding sharpness and full-aperture performance. There are better 50mm lenses on the market for portraiture, but none that are sharper or so well-corrected for coma and longitudinal chromatic aberration when shot wide open.